PITTSBURGH — Yoenis Cespedes, who played in his first rehab game on Friday night, was scratched Saturday after he experienced soreness in his right quad while running the bases the night before. Cespedes will be shut down until at least Tuesday, the team announced.
That’s a blow to the Mets, who had been hopeful he would be able to come off the disabled list as soon as Monday.
Cespedes, who has been on the DL since April 28 with a strained left hamstring, played six innings in the outfield and went 0-for-2 in three at-bats Friday night. The initial reports were encouraging and Terry Collins had indicated that Cespedes would play Saturday.
“They thought he swung the bat all right,” The Mets manager said. “He’s anxious to get back in there today and see how he does. I think they took him out after his third at-bat. I don’t know how many innings he’s go to play. I am certainly anxious to see how the outcome is tonight.”
Cespedes struggled with a right quad issue last season, missing 14 games. His history of leg issues has caused the Mets to take a look at his training and workout regimens to try and prevent them.
When Cespedes gets back, Collins said that they will have a talk about using days off to keep him healthy.
“I will sit them all down as a group and explain what the process of what we are going to do and how we are going to go about it,” Collins said. “Certainly when Ces gets back. I know him and he’ll want to play every game. We can’t afford to lose him for another month, so he’ll be getting some time off.”